Saturday, January 12, 2008

Adventures in . . . Maple Walnut Cupcakes



Yesterday I made these Maple Walnut Cupcakes, which are from Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook. I found the recipe on-line at "Culinary in the Country," which is a blog where this guy (multiple people?) posts about what he cooks each day. Here's the link to the recipe: http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/2005/05/maple-walnut-cupcakes-with-candied.html

It is a very impressive site. The cupcakes, I must say, were not. They were very "Martha"--light, pretty, but generally lacking in flavor. The frosting (which was just maple syrup, butter, and eggs) was light and fluffy but quite bland. I didn't bother making caramelized walnuts because I wasn't too thrilled with the recipe. The one nice thing about the cupcakes was their texture--there are toasted walnuts baked into the fluffy cupcakes, which really worked out well. I think that cupcakes should be sweet--this was more of a cross between a muffin and cupcake, and although the cupcakes tasted fine, they're not my favorite.

No comments: